Re: [Question #695058]: Bending beams mass computation

Robert Caulk proposed the following answer:
Hello,

>Can someone explain to me how the mass is computed in the simulation
and why it differs quite a lot to my analytical computation?

I am not an expert in GridConnections. But I'll add some code to help
you continue thinking  about it. Yade holds the Gridnodes as bodies as
well as the GridConnections as bodies. Hence len(O.bodies) >
len(cylIds). I would say these volumes overlap based only on the
viewport, so would be better to sum with a GridConnection criteria
maybe:

sim_total_mass=0
for b in O.bodies:
  if isinstance(b.shape,GridConnection): sim_total_mass+=b.state.mass

But when I do this I get 23. And if I switch it from GridConnection to
just summing mass on GridNode, I get 46. It seems the volume is allowed
to overlap and the GridConnection mass estimate is incorrect, or it
isn't accounting for the overlaps with GridNodes.

Hope it helps.

Robert