Re: [Question #697108]: Porosity overlapping particles

Bruno Chareyre proposed the following answer:
If you have no clear idea, I think best by default is to assume 4/3*πR^3
is still a good approximation for the volumes of the deformed spheres
(isochoric deformation). No need to go compute intersections since they
are not physical intersections.

If it gives negative values then the modelling approach in itself is questionable and there is no magic trick to fix it.
In some advanced models [1] we tried to factor local porosity in the pairwise interactions, so that porosity would never go negative.
It hasn't been maintained unfortunately, but the concepts could be re-implemented.

Bruno

[1]
https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/abs/pii/S0032591010004481