Re: [Question #699428]: Cannot simulate periodic box with walls

Danny (Dingeman) van der Haven is still having a problem:
Dear Jan,

Thank you for your answer.

Some sort of wall is essential. Correct me if I am wrong, but when the
box is changed using PeriTriaxController it seems that all particle
coordinates are scaled. This means that stresses will be distributed
uniformly. This is not the case in real uniaxial compaction, where the
stress varies depending on the height of the slice you are looking at.
For this reason, I want to simulate a case where the pressure is
increased using plates.

Using a box as given in [2] did not work, PeriTriaxController does not
scale the inserted box geometry.  A hacky alternative that seems to work
is to create two thin boxes (one at each end) and use those as plates.
However, if I fix these plates and use PeriTriaxController the particle
coordinates are still scaled. If I do not fix the plates and give them a
velocity then the plates move away. How can I make the box-plates move
at a constant speed (irrespective of the other forces on them)?

Also, the documentation says the option dynCell determines how the
imposed stress is controlled. What is meant with "packing stiffness" and
"applying the laws of dynamics"? I assume the latter computers the
average forces on the particles and uses that to compute a stress.

Please let me know if I should add a bug report on GitLab about the
problem with walls and periodic cells. Similarly, if there is a way that
I can help improve the documentation on the YADE website, please let me
know. I plan on implementing new features in YADE and would like to get
involved with the development.

With kind regards,
Danny