Re: [Question #701098]: Ask for an example for simulating damage

> So, I am now going to simulate ice breaking with sphere particles and
bond models.

Personally I am not sure if this is the best approach, but you will see :-)
- if the packing is very regular (like in the provided picture), the cracks are too much "predefined"
- most domain most of the time does not need to be actually simulated (so the simulations will be unnecessarily "long"). Actually this is my main concern, but maybe it is not relevant..
- I am not sure if the "clear breaking" of the ice is doable by DEM models (but I have never tried). E.g. the proposed CPM model creates "larger damaged zones" rather than real cracks.
There is also CohFrictMat, which have cohesive bonds that may break, but with this too I have almost no experience (you can ask separate new question on the possibility to use CohFrictMat for iceberg breaking).
You can also use completely new Yade model dedicated for ice breaking.
For sure you can make it work somehow this way :-)

I like the idea that the icebergs are rigid body (either clump of spheres or some polygon), the "overall" motion of these large icebergs is solved by DEM and the breaking is solved for individual icebergs on demand (based on external forces and momentum) "externally" - either by DEM or other method.

But it is just some brainstorming, ideas which seems good to me, but might not work at all when it is actually done :-)
After all, it is your PhD, you will have to do all the work yourself, it should be coordinated with your supervisor, you yourself will have to present and defend it etc. etc.
So really take it just as a "non-binding" advises and make the final solution yourself :-)

> how is the bond between particles established before the start of the
simulation?

There are several approaches.
You can define the bonds "manually" using utils.createInteraction [4].
Or you can let the bonds be created "automatically" based on their radius, interactionDetectionFactor and aabbEnlargeFactor as in uniax.py [1].

I would suggest to consider also the JointedCohesiveFrictionalPM.
But again, I have no personal experience, so you can ask a separate new question on this topic (if the model could be used to model ice breaking).

Cheers
Jan

[4] https://yade-dem.org/doc/user.html#individual-interactions-on-demand