Re: [Question #702750]: How to detect the coordinates of each particle?

> But how can I strictly define particles as belonging to the top layer,
I don't seem to have a train of thought.

This is up to you.
There are a lot of reasonable approaches how to define it.

> My first thought was to use coordinates to define the uppermost
particles

yes, this is one of the most easiest and straightforward approach, get
the highest coordinate zMax and say all particles with z coodinate
larger than zMax - someLayerThickness is the layer.

Or you can define number of particles in the layer, sort particles
w.r.t. z coordinate and define the layer as first N particles.

Or you can define "numerical blanket", let it fall to the packing and
define touching particles as the top layer.

It really depends on definition, purposes, available / needed time to
use / develop a method, ...

> but the coordinates of these particles are also unknown quantities,

coordinates of particles are of course known quantities (all this thread
is about it).

Cheers