[Question #706483]: Spherical packing in a cylindrical container

Hello everyone;

I hope you are doing well.

I am using glass beads within a 1D cylindrical column in the laboratory and want to perform a similar DEM simulation. In the first part, I need a spherical packing in a cylindrical container in Yade (2020.01a version) for extracting its particle information like positions and radii with “export.text('name.txt')”. After that, I will use a package for extracting their pore structure.

I want to use mono-sized and also binary mixture particles. But here my question is just about a mono-sized spherical packing in a cylindrical container with a specific height and diameter.

I should mention that we pour the glass beads into the columns simply, without any shaking or compaction.

Which function do you recommend? Is “pack.randomDensePack” suitable for this purpose?

Here is my poor command:

###
from __future__ import print_function
from yade import pack, geom
from builtins import range
from yade import export

pred = pack.inCylinder((0,0,0),(0,0,0.2),0.20)
sp = pack.randomDensePack(pred,radius=0.01,spheresInCell=300)
O.bodies.append(sp)
facets = geom.facetCylinder((0,0,0.1),0.2,0.2,wallMask=2|4)
O.bodies.append(facets)

export.text('name.txt')
###

Any ideas and comments are appreciated!