mute/unmute icon? other questions.

Hi Huw.  I hope all is well.

I'm including lots of people on this email's CC because the yellow squad will may to implement what you describe, and because those people in the product squad will be involved in QA'ing the feature, so they may want to know about these efforts/questions/answers.

I believe I've added you and all of the product team, directly or indirectly, to the teams that currently have access to our recent feature work.  This means that you see our current work in Launchpad whether you want to or not. :-)

We have a few questions for you.  I apologize for the length of the email.

1) Brad has already sent you one of the most important ones, about the overlay's title overrun problem.  I won't repeat it here.

2)  We don't have icons for muting and unmuting, and we probably ought to have them.  Right now they are needed in three places, where we have two different solutions.

  a) Go to a bug and directly subscribe to it.  If you want to try this on staging, you may get timeouts because of bug heat cache issues; I suggest using https://bugs.staging.launchpad.net/argh/+bug/768717.  Now you can mute it, using a link on the right-hand side.  (As an aside, muting should also be available if you are only structurally subscribed; see bug 770248.)  You'll notice that the icon does not change whether you mute or unmute it.  It also uses our "remove" icon, which is not quite the right connotation.

  b) For identical functionality, on the bug's +subscriptions page we show "no" and "yes" icons for muting and unmuting, respectively.  See https://bugs.staging.launchpad.net/argh/+bug/768717/+subscriptions, for instance.  This is better, and maybe even acceptable, but I think we could do better, both in terms of conveying muting and unmuting more clearly, and in terms of sticking with the "circle button" theme that we use everywhere else for these sorts of things.

  c) On https://bugs.staging.launchpad.net/launchpad/+bug/240067/+subscriptions (yes, the top description is wrong, bug 770217), click "Other subscriptions".  On the right-hand side you'll see "Stop my emails from this subscription".  This functionality is also using "no"/"yes" and could probably use mute/unmute icons instead.

Could you give us some mute/unmute button icons to use consistently in these locations (or tell us what else to do)?

3) We need some CSS lovin' to pretty-up some accordion panels.  To view, go to someplace like https://bugs.edge.launchpad.net/launchpad-project/+bugs , click "Subscribe to bug mail," choose "are added or changed in any way," choose "Bugs must match this filter," and then expand the three parts of that accordion pane.  An incomplete list of things that are unattractive: Select all and Select none should be green and should have more space between them; and options should have more padding around them on the edge of the accordion.  It just doesn't look polished in there.  JS is making all of that, so if digging into the code is too much work, feel free to give us a photoshop of what you think we should do, or something along those lines.  CSS pointers for achieving what you want will always be appreciated, though.

4) This is a simple opinion question.  We don't show anonymous users links to subscribe to targets (products and so on) on the main overview page, but we do show these links on the bug overview page.  We figure we should be consistent one way or the other.  Which do you think?

Thank you!

Gary

Follow ups