lxc-start-ephemeral patches and lxc-wait

Hi chaps,

Francesco and I have spent much of today wrestling with
lxc-start-ephemeral in order to make it play nice and use strictly
ephemeral rootfses. We've finally got there, and there's a patch
attached. I don't see a bug for this work anywhere; should we just be
forwarding this to Serge & co.?

We did run into one problem, which is that once you're trying to start
a second ephemeral instance, lxc-wait starts giving you errors:

lxc-wait: bind : Address already in use.

This appears to be a known issue, though [1], and one that doesn't
appear close to having something done about it. It might be worth
raising with Serge.

The only time this will cause a problem is when lxc-start-ephemeral
uses lxc-wait to block until the instance transitions to STOPPED,
whereafter it tears down all the lxc gubbins and unmounts things.
Since lxc-wait always errors at this point, it means that ephemeral
instances can potentially disappear from underneath us, which is
unpleasant. We can probably hack around it though.

We've created a branch to track our lxc-s-e changes (it seemed
marginally easier than manually diffing and patching). You can find
it, strangely enough, on our beloved Launchpad [2].

Questions, comments, criticisms and general wailing are welcome.

Cheers,

Graham & Francesco.

 [1] http://comments.gmane.org/gmane.linux.kernel.containers.lxc.general/962
 [2] lp:~yellow/+junk/lxc-start-ephemeral

--
Graham Binns | PGP Key: EC66FA7D
http://launchpad.net/~gmb