Re: Timelines, trips, and our next project

Gary Poster wrote:
> Hi everyone.  I'm including Nicola because hopefully he will be with
> us, and if so, this news will affect him.

Thanks, Gary. Well, anything can happen but it's more than hope by now,
isn't it? :-)

> * Martin and I had talked about Nicola starting on yellow squad Sept.
> 10.  Because of the new Sept. 3 timeline, I asked Martin if we could
> start Nicola earlier.  He said it would be tight, but he would see
> what he could do.  If he can't adjust, we'll deal with it.

I guess I'll have to work for both projects that week. ;-)

> * Our next project will be to write a Juju GUI in YUI--a single-page
> JS app.  I've forgotten what Kapil Thangavelu told me the GUI is of,
> but I think it is for live server status and that sort of thing, able
> to handle thousands of servers, using SVG.  We will not be involved
> with the server side at all: we will only be in charge of the JS.

Heh, I asked for changes and as they say, be careful what you ask for. :-)

I did two such things in 2007 and 2008 using ExtJS (now Sencha). In
Ubuntu One I dabbled with some YUI code, nothing systematic though.

Time to brush up my Crockford and delve into YUI, I guess!

> * Kapil is the architect and product leader.
> * This project is high-profile: something that the product team (read:
> Mark) cares about.
> * Because it is a product team project, the travel ban is not in
> effect.

Priorities, uh? That's nice. :-)

> * The entire squad will have an initial week-long sprint in September,
> maybe somewhere in the US East Coast.  This will also represent
> Nicola's induction sprint.  I will try to hammer out details about
> this with Kapil as soon as possible.

Yay! Keep in mind that Italy in September is beautiful too. :-)

> * We will all be expected to attend the last three days of the product
> strategy sprint: Oct 24-26 in Copenhagen.  We might also be asked to
> stay for some of the following week, for UDS: that's to be determined.
> If you would really like to stay, or really not like to stay, please
> let me know so I can factor that into the plans as best I can.  I will
> arrive earlier, on Oct 22, and might need to stay later.

So I get to meet you guys face to face twice within two months? That's
nice. :-) When I started at Canonical in 2009, it took five months before
I could be around some colleagues.

Bring on those flaming chrome foxes! :-)

--
Nicola 'teknico' Larosa <https://launchpad.net/~teknico>