zeitgeist team mailing list archive

Status of 0.3 and current issues.

Hey guys,
First of all thanks for the awesome work so far, who would have known people
would like our work. Unitl now I think we get better feedback than GNOME
Shell as well as tracker concerning our ideas, implementations and concepts.
But speaking GNOME Shell they just had their 2.28 release. I tried it out
still not a big fan but hey it improved! Now this kinda puts the attention
on us for releasing too. But ATM we are far from releasing and after a chat
with Vincent Untz we need to be able to demo something before the hackfest
and after. I was thinking of demoing 0.3 before the hackfest and the new
fixes and features afterwards.
Let us start with current open
blueprints<https://blueprints.edge.launchpad.net/zeitgeist>for a 0.3
release:

   - *How we describe events (separating events and
items)<https://blueprints.edge.launchpad.net/zeitgeist/+spec/zeitgeist-event-describtion>:
   *I think we are dealing here with the the biggest issue. The separation
   was our best decision yet allowing more new flexibility. However the current
   split put us in front of the annotation implementation issue. Markus and
   Mikkel had the best 2 proposals so far.
Mikkel's<http://live.gnome.org/GnomeZeitgeist/EngineAPIRevamp#Annotations>being
more powerful but duplicative while Markus's
   <http://paste.ubuntu.com/286981/>being more straight forward. Once this
   issue is done we can actually move forward better. Since we will be working
   on a new simple API I think we should just go with the more powerful. After
   this is done we are still facing a migration script :(.

   - *Revamped DBus
API<https://blueprints.edge.launchpad.net/zeitgeist/+spec/zeitgeist-revamp-engine-api>
   :* This is a very important point. Our current API is really flexible and
   powerful but very very complex. However right now, Teamgeist, Docky, Shell
   and stuff me and Markus hack have to deal with this complexity. We all
   agreed on providing a more flexible API as well as a new simple one for
   little purposes. Where things like annotations are left out until requested,
   etc...

   - *Aggregating document focus over window
focus<https://blueprints.edge.launchpad.net/zeitgeist/+spec/monitor-document-focus>:
   *I think the this implementation is almost complete in a branch as a
   separate Dataprovider. I am just standing infront of the decision to either
   to push those focus events in a new table, or DB, or just push them into the
   normal events table. This feature will allow us to determine how long a
   document was focused providing features such as "Most active documents" as
   well help out later with the data relevancy graphs.

   - *Data Context Relevancy
Provider<https://blueprints.edge.launchpad.net/zeitgeist/+spec/data-context-relevancy-provider>
   :* This feature is also done depending on the previous feature. Right now
   we can determine what are the document contextually related to another.
   Using Dijkstra we can also provide how relevant is a document to the current
   context (the current context being all open documents). It is pretty doable
   we just need to think of the API for it. Maybe Jason Smith can suggest it.

   - *Symbollic Access of the Data
Model<https://blueprints.edge.launchpad.net/zeitgeist/+spec/zeitgeist-symbollic-datamodel>
   :* This feature is not a big deal and I could finish tomorrow or so. It
   is pretty straight forward and I will rely on the Nepomuk ontology for it.
   It will allow us to have a unified communication with other projects such as
   Tracker. It will keep our DB clean and not full of random crapola.*
   *

   - *Events RDF
Ontology<https://blueprints.edge.launchpad.net/zeitgeist/+spec/events-rdf-ontology>:
   *This is the least of my concerns and I think it could be done within a
   week of devotion. Mikkel should take the lead on that :)

Please all feel free to write this down somewhere else in a wiki for a open
discussion if u dislike using the mailing list.
It would be nice to have these issues somehow dicussed and settled by the
end of the week!
All in all great job guys. Let's make 0.3 happen.
Cheers
Seif

Follow ups