zeitgeist team mailing list archive

Re: GIO And the Magical Patch: A Zeitgeist Story

2009/11/20 Jason Smith <jason.smith@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
> Things this patch can provide you with:
> - The name of the application the user launched (localized if desired)
> - How to launch it
> - What it was launched with
> - What mime types it supports
> - A description of the application (localized if desired)
> - The name of the binary that was launched
> - The flags the application was launched with
> Probably more...

Just to clarify, events aren't really about applications, the only
application information we store is the name of their ".desktop" file.
What we need is: document URI, document mimetype, document
manifestation (local file/website/etc), document interpretation
(document/image/video/source code/etc), title -can't be provided by
GIO-, event interpretation (most likely VISIT_EVENT, ei. a file being
opened/visited), event manifestation (happening because of a user
action/automatically -eg. music player changing to next song-/etc),
etc.

In any case, your idea looks really useful (even though we'll still
need data providers for many applications as they can provide much
more details by themselves), please go on with it :).

Cheers,

Free Software Developer       363DEAE3