newbie help launching pyzim from daily snapshot; building Windows installer

Hi Jaap/all,

I've been sorta lurking here since I published my Windows installer
for the Perl version of Zim, and it looks like now is a good time for
me to start working on building the Windows installer for the Python
port. It looks like the Python ecosystem has some excellent
release-and-deployment tools for Windows, and our experience should be
better and easier to maintain in Python.

To get myself started and see what the project looks like now, I built
a fresh Ubuntu virtual machine, grabbed a snapshot of pyzim ("bzr
branch lp:zim/pyzim"), read the HACKING notebook and installed
python-gtk2-dev and python-gobject-dev. I then tried to execute zim.py
and I got "'NoneType' object is unsubscriptable" in gui/__init__.py
line 1303.

Now, I don't know much about Python programming (yet), so before I get
lost, can I just ask, is it SUPPOSED to work now, if I try to run
zim.py at the command prompt? Did I do something wrong, or are you
still in the component-building stage and I can't just launch the app
as if I was a user?

Thanks for your assistance!

Brendan

Follow ups