Re: working installer for Zim 0.4x on windows -- not published yet; I have questions

On Mon, Mar 8, 2010 at 10:23 PM, Brendan Kidwell <snarf@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
... 8< ...
> By the way Jaap I might want to patch the startup code in zim.py to look an
> empty file called "./is-portable-install" and if it exists do some special
> things such as create and/or open "../Notebooks/Default" relative to zim.exe
> . I haven't figured out the details quite yet, but are you okay with adding
> a kludge like that somewhere so that I don't end up with a separate
> "compiled" python script as an .exe, to launch zim.exe? On the other hand I
> might do most of the launch work with VBScript, JScript or Windows "batch
> file" language.
> For shell-integrated non-portable install mode, zim.exe already behaves
> exactly right and we will not change this.

Sure no problem. We can always clean it up a bit later on if it is a
real dirty hack. First step is to make it work.

If possible I would prefer either having this setting by checking an
environment variable or as a setting in one of the config files.

Probably an environment variable makes most sense assuming you need to
know that you are portable before looking for the config files.
Assuming you need a batch script or similar to set the XDG parameters
anyway, it would make sense to set an additional parameter which is
checked by zim.