Re: Performance degraded in zim HEAD?

On 3 May 2010 15:49, Jaap Karssenberg <jaap.karssenberg@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Mon, May 3, 2010 at 1:26 PM, Svenn Are Bjerkem
> <svenn.bjerkem@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> I checked a bit more, and on a page with 50 open checkboxes, there is
>> significant lag when typing text in other parts of the page. The lag
>> becomes more and more annoying as checkboxes are added. At around 30
>> checkboxes, the lag is very much present on a core i7-975
>
> Just to be sure we talk about the same thing: you notice the lag when
> the auto save kicks in while typing (every 5 seconds or so + you see
> the "*" in the statusbar disappear) ?

I look at the * while typing, and the cursor stops being responsive,
but the star does not disappear when the cursor becomes responsive
again. It is kind of hard to measure how long the cursor is responsive
before the * disappears due to auto-save as typing another character
makes the buffer dirty again. I do not know how often the auto-save
feature is triggered, but the unresponsiveness of the buffer happens
every 5 to 10 characters if I just hold a key pressed for a long time.
The pause seems to be very periodical as if an event is triggered at
regular intervalls (but it does not seem to be the auto-save
functionality)
I test the following way in a buffer with 50 open checkboxes:
1) Press and hold the character 'a' until the cursor stops.
2) Immediately release the key
3) Wait until the * disappears
4) Press and hold 'a' again.

Between 1) and 2) is something like 5 to 10 characters
When 2) happens, 1 to 2 seconds pass before the extra characters in
the input buffer are printed
3) happens 3 to 5 seconds after the character buffer is emptied
When 3) happens and 4) is done as fast as possible, sometimes only 1
character is printed before the cursor stops, sometimes as many as 15.

It is hard to measure as the keyboard buffer is always filled with a
couple of characters before I manage to release the button.

I hoped it would be possible to reproduce this by inserting many open
checkboxes into a page, but doing that on a different machine fails as
it has 0.46 installed where the automatic update of the task list is
not implemented. No lag whatsoever with 40 checkboxes and more. I will
try to compile zim from bzr on that machine too to see if I can
observe same behaviour.

--
Svenn