Re: Questions about Wiki markup and its Parser

On Fri, Dec 10, 2010 at 10:50 PM, Juancarlo Añez <apalala@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I was examining the source code for Zim with the aim of adding support fro
> enumerated lists, but found the code that deals with wiki-text too
> complicated to be amenable for a small hack.
>
> Questions:
>
> Is there a reason why Zim doesn't use one of the wiki markup libraries
> readily available for Python?

Bit historic since zim was originally written in Perl and also because
I had my own ideas how a good wiki format should look. Meaning to add
other options for compatibility with other wikis, but never gotten
around doing that myself.

> Would it help (would it be accepted) if I wrote a simpler and more
> extensible wiki parser?

Sure, if it supports the same wiki syntax and the code is cleaner than
mine I'll be happy to use it. Looks like you are more qualified than I
am since I never followed any formal courses in parsers or grammars.

I have been meaning to clean up the object structure used for the
internal parse tree, but if you use the "builder" interface for
xml.etree it should be compatible when I switch to the new library.