Re: Zim + Freemind

On Thu, Apr 21, 2011 at 8:05 AM, Raphael Hertzog <hertzog@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> > Thank you, Jaap and development team, for a great piece of software!
> > Another piece of software that I use frequently is Freemind, the
> > open-source mind-mapping software. Here's what I would like to see: a
> > means of embedding a freemind mindmap into a Zim page so that it could
> > be edited and used directly from Zim. Is the framework for embedding an
> > external resource able to be configured to make this scenario possible?
>
> On Wed, 20 Apr 2011, Tim Jore wrote:
> Unlikely in the case of Freemind since Freemind is in java.

There are some options to embed external windows like a widget, but that
won't work as nice. Even if you embed it that doesn't mean it's integrated,
e.g. key bindings can conflict and you can not open new pages from links in
the mindmap.

> > Is there anyone else that would find "wiki + mindmap" functionality
> > useful?
>
> I would love to see this as well.

I have had the intention to integrate a mind map for a long time, but so far
did not find a suitable widget are application that we can borrow for this.
Didn't find the time to rewrite a mindmap from scratch.

> What's the best way to get started trying to make it work? Thanks!
>
> Write a GTK+ widget that displays a mindmap.

I planned originally to do this on top of the widget that is used for the
"link map" plugin. It is based on the dot language, so it should be possible
to interactively create a dot graph representing the mindmap. However the
widget doesn't it make easy to add interactive controls, so that idea went
in the freezer.

Since last time I checked it seems GooCanvas has come out on top as the
preferred Cairo canvas for Gtk applications. This could serve as a basis to
dray a mindmap with some simple controls. Most difficult part will be to
decide how to do the graph layout.