Re: Why isn't it possible to underline text

On Sat, 10 Jan 2015 22:47:27 +0100
Udo Weik <WeikEngOff@xxxxxxx> wrote:
>I'm realy astonished that it isn't possible to underline text.
>Any comments?

Very simple. Claws mail is a plain text only client. If you want to compose in html (i.e., using bold, italics, underline, etc.) then you'll need another e-mail client (Evolution, Thunderbird, Outlook, and so on.)

There's a growing trend to get back to "old school"...which is the new school, and rightly so. Plain text is simpler to read and produces smaller e-mails. If I need to emphasize a word or phrase, then I'll just bracket it in asterisks, *like so*.

With the advent and popularity of markdown, I wouldn't be surprised to see the adaptation of markdown interpreters to show some formatting, while retaining simple plain text. Even without that functionality, you'll find the markdown format guidelines can actually help you produce better text email.

Have a look:
http://daringfireball.net/projects/markdown/syntax