Re: [Ayatana] Solving the "user forgets about presentation mode" problem! (was Re: notify-osd + fullscreen + multiple monitors)

Isn't this whole discussion of a presentation mode making the issue more complex than it needs to be?

I would think that taking an application into full-screen allows us to safely assume the user is making the following statement:  "this application is the only thing I'm interested in right now".  It follows from this that non-critical notifications should be suppressed while viewing a full-screen application.

The user already has a way of viewing an application window in close-to-fullscreen size, and that is by maximizing the window (as opposed to full-screening it).  Maximizing the window can be analogous to the following statement:  "I'm only interested in this application, but am still interested in peripheral information".  In this case I think it would be appropriate to display all notifications.

What does need addressing is the use-case whereby a user wishes to suppress notifications under conditions outside of full-screening an application.

I hope I'm not missing anything in my analysis.  Is there a use-case of a full-screen application that does not offer window maximization as an alternative?

As for the issue of missed notifications, I thought it was early-on decided that notifications were transient by nature?  Seeing as how one cannot take direct action on a notification, they seem to be generally used as informational messages that the user can do without, with the exception of what have been referred to as "critical notifications" (i.e. "your battery is nearly empty", "the end is nigh", etc.).  Notifications requiring action should be handled differently, shouldn't they?  This means that non-critical notifications can be safely ignored.

I hope my input has been helpful.

Thanks,

Sohail Mirza