Re: [Ayatana] [Concept suggestion] About the new possibilities for the top right window buttons on the new Ubuntu visual

On Tue, 2010-03-30 at 17:56 +0200, Yann Lossouarn wrote:

> Really ? I think it would great having a standardized way to perform
> some sort of basic "copy/paste" action aimed at the entire file you're
> working on,

My objection was that I thought it was duplicating the File->Open
File->Save Menu options, a la the new Windoze ribbon interface.  Your
explanation is for all intents a button copy/paste context menu on the
window. Based on that, perhaps my interest is piqued a little more.

My concern would be selection context.  If you were in f-spot or picasa,
what would your selection be?  The current photo? An entire album?  The
auto selection could present confusion to the user.

To the power user, I don't see this as an enhancement.  IMHO, the
Ctrl-A, Ctrl-C key sequences typically are used enough that they can be
done by a non-touch typist in during a sandstorm.  The noob might might
find some novelty if they were comfortable with the context issues.

I do REALLY like the idea of global definable window button, tho.
Examples that come to mind: Downloads for firefox, upload for f-spot or
empathy, quickprint for Office.

But given the definable nature, it isn't consistent so might be
confusing. It reminds me of the convenience buttons on cell phones. But
that a single global button, so the comparison might be stretched.