[Ayatana] Indicators for showing progress

Hello!

A new idea came into my mind regarding the indicators: we have many applications that execute long-running operations... like when copying large files or many files, the nautilus icon appears in the system tray to indicate that some operations are in progress. In my opinion for cases like this, we should have the possibility to show the progress of an operation in an indicator applet menuitem. This could be useful for file operations, cd/dvd writing, sending or receiving file via bluetooth, downloading file from the internet, etc.
One possible solutions would be to add the functionality of menuitems with progress bars to the appindicator library, and everyone would implement menuitems with progressbar for their long-running operations, or the other one, which I lik better would be to have a progress indicator applet, which would contain information about all long-running operations. This would be more efficient, because we could hide it when there are no operations in progress, show it when there are operations running. In most cases there are only a few long-running operations running at once, so the menu shouldn't be cluttered. This would break a bit the idea of getting information about applications only by clicking their appindicator, but it would be helpful for many applications that do not need appindicator, (like nautilus, cd-dvd burners, web browsers downloading files).

Please comment, tell me what's your opinion about this...