Re: [Ayatana] Indicators for showing progress

On Wednesday 14,April,2010 06:18 PM, Roth Robert wrote:
> Hello!
>
> A new idea came into my mind regarding the indicators: we have many
> applications that execute long-running operations... like when copying
> large files or many files, the nautilus icon appears in the system tray
> to indicate that some operations are in progress. In my opinion for
> cases like this, we should have the possibility to show the progress of
> an operation in an indicator applet menuitem. This could be useful for
> file operations, cd/dvd writing, sending or receiving file via
> bluetooth, downloading file from the internet, etc.
> One possible solutions would be to add the functionality of menuitems
> with progress bars to the appindicator library, and everyone would
> implement menuitems with progressbar for their long-running operations,
> or the other one, which I lik better would be to have a progress
> indicator applet, which would contain information about all long-running
> operations. This would be more efficient, because we could hide it when
> there are no operations in progress, show it when there are operations
> running. In most cases there are only a few long-running operations
> running at once, so the menu shouldn't be cluttered. This would break a
> bit the idea of getting information about applications only by clicking
> their appindicator, but it would be helpful for many applications that
> do not need appindicator, (like nautilus, cd-dvd burners, web browsers
> downloading files).
>
> Please comment, tell me what's your opinion about this...

I actually prefer Brasero's way (in Karmic) of showing progress, i.e. the icon
itself shows progress in a way that can be estimated. For most things involving
progress, I think I'd like to be able to check the progress without needing to
click on anything.

--
Kind regards,
Chow Loong Jin (GPG: 0x8F02A411)