Re: [Ayatana] Ubuntu Light system sounds

On Wed, Apr 14, 2010 at 10:33 AM, Frederik Nnaji
<frederik.nnaji@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi Chris
> i'm loving the sounds "device-connect-3" and "device-disconnect-3"
> can you recommend an easy way of assigning these sounds for their respective
> events?
>
> System>Preferences>Sound doesn't yield anything helpful to me in current
> lucid

Sounds are no longer configured on an individual basis, but as entire
themes. It's very much like icon themes; they even inherit from each
other!
The individual sounds are given standard names, like
audio-volume-change. Libcanberra (or something else) lets an
application request a certain event sound be played, and the actual
choosing / playing of the sound happens magically based on the theme
the user has selected.

I'm not sure if there are any tutorials on the topic, but the
specification should have the information you need to get started
turning an assortment of files into a working sound theme:
http://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Specifications/sound-theme-spec

Check out the Freedesktop sound theme (in the repos, and linked to
from the sound theme spec's wiki page) for a complete sound theme,
with the appropriate index.theme file :)
Keep in mind the version of the theme outside Ubuntu's repos may be a
bit newer; its rhythm of updates is in tune with Fedora.

Dylan