[Ayatana] GNOME Shell Activities

this one has been making me scratch my head for a while now:

how do "we" think about GNOME Shell and possibilities arising with the
introduction of its "Activity Journal" usage?
how are indicator menus going to be transferred into this conceptually
radically different DE?

my personal belief is that indicator menus are a more informative and
dynamic type of menu concept that will change menus as we know them
for ever, yet menus as we know them will not last so much longer, once
Zeitgeist hits the desktop.

what's Canonical's stab at all this stuff, the long-term vision i mean?