Re: [Ayatana] Making workspaces great (branched from "Farewell to the notification area")

> While I like the basic concept, there are going to be severe limits.
> First off, what about vertical desktops? I have a 2x 2 setup, and its
> worked wonders for me for keeping organized. I personally can't stand
> the stick em all in the line organization.

Can you please elaborate more on how vertical setups help your
organization? I use a 2x2 setup too, but mainly for keyboard
navigation purposes, something that would not be forbidden by
the tab concept.

> Secondly, do we want to implement adding workspaces on the fly?

I do. :) One of the things that always bothered me about workspaces
is how static they are and how they exist regardless if you are
using them or not. It's a waste of resources and represents an idle
empty thing which no purpose, which makes the user experience feel
less tidy.

> Third, I think the basic functionality here, while certainly not bad,
> will be very neatly coded by Google Chrome OS and in Gnome-Shell, to
> the point of why bother starting from scratch.

Oh, I certainly support the idea of using as much as existing code
as possible, but on the stage of brainstorming I avoid being
constrained by that. :)