Re: [Ayatana] Making workspaces great (branched from "Farewell to the notification area")

On Thu, Apr 22, 2010 at 02:55, Conscious User <conscioususer@xxxxxxx> wrote:
> Can you please elaborate more on how vertical setups help your
> organization? I use a 2x2 setup too, but mainly for keyboard
> navigation purposes, something that would not be forbidden by
> the tab concept.

Multi-dimensional organization. X = spread of different simultaneous tasks, Y = sub-tasks.

So, I've got a column for generic communication, chat.

I have a column for development tools.

I have a column for system monitors, or other utilities.

It's not as strictly adhered as that, but that's the general idea I go to. I keep things very very fluid by making it really easy to switch workspaces, and to move windows between workspaces:

  1. Mouse wheel on desktop (or with Ctrl+Alt if the desktop's not visible) switches workspaces. Horizontal scrolling moves between columns.
  2. Mouse wheel on titlebars (or with Alt, if I want to be fast) moves windows between workspaces. The analogy here is that mouse events move a window: Dragging on the title bar moves it within the workspace, scrolling moves it between workspaces. Again, horizontal scroll -> columns

--
Jeremy Nickurak -= Email/XMPP: jeremy@xxxxxxxxxxx =-