Re: [Ayatana] Tasque, Giver

On Thu, Apr 22, 2010 at 18:16, John Lea <john.lea@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hyia, you might want to post this to the ubuntuone-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> mailing list.  I'm not sure if any of the developers working with CouchDB
> subscribe to this list, so you may not get a answer to your question here.

perhaps one of the steps i should take, thanks John.
Hi there, Chow ;)

On Thu, Apr 22, 2010 at 17:29, Chow Loong Jin <hyperair@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Before we start using CouchDB more extensively, how about making erlang
> processes drinking the CPU at a steady 1% of a 2GHz Core 2 Duo, and making the
> whole set of CouchDB things take less memory?

yeah, the social desktop apps need better performance. i see how they
suck up all the memory and CPU on my netbook. the ideas presented are
great, while the efficiency of their implementations will need some
more attention. so i agree on that side.

on the other hand, conceptually overthinking how this "set of CouchDB
things" will work as a suite of independent social desktop apps can
not harm.
it can even be argued, we should stop coding until a proper social
desktop concept is available and specced out properly, so coding can
have an actual direction to follow.

> My findings, from using Gwibber so far: If I kill gwibber and all the erlang and
> couch things, my battery power consumption drops by approximately 2 Watts, from
> ~16W to ~14W, gaining me approximately half an hour worth of battery. Surely a
> microblogging client, and potentially more things using Couch shouldn't take
> this much power? Or actually, just couch running alone is bad enough.

outch!

actually, i don't quite care which app does the job. there's so much
code out there, we might aswell run gecko in a gtk window with a
couple of buttons around it and AJAX for interactivity, as far as
gwibber's current functionality is concerned.

all i want is to take my desktop identity with me, no matter what
machine i desire to move to, by connecting one single service..
contacts managed, video calls enabled, drag and dropping stuff around.

websites in a browser can do it, my phone does it, the Ubuntu desktop
should be able to do it, too.

let's see if with the right help, one can draw up a concept worth our while.