Re: [Ayatana] Default to single click to open files and folders

On Thu, 2010-05-13 at 14:36 +0200, Frederik Nnaji wrote:
> On Thu, May 13, 2010 at 12:02, Remco <remco47@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>         On Thu, May 13, 2010 at 11:29, Alex Lourie <djay.il@xxxxxxxxx>
>         wrote:
>         > So how would a simple selection be solved? If I want to
>         select a file or a
>         > folder, I single-click on it.
>         > If this behavior changes, then A LOT of people will have to
>         change their
>         > behavior.
>         > So if changing this hurts more people than helps, I'd say it
>         requires a lot
>         > of thinking ahead.

I completely agree. Changes like this should be backed by data gathered
by formal user testing. I would love to see single-click be the default
as I believe it to be a superior method of interaction, but if it causes
more problems than it solves then it shouldn't be the default.

>         I think single click should not be default, but there is one
>         way of
>         improving single selection in that mode: put a checkbox before
>         each
>         file and folder. This also makes it easier to do multi
>         selection in
>         any mode.
>
> KDE defaults to this in dolphin.
> it also defaults to comfortable single click.

How does dolphin behave in list/tree view? The space for overlays in
those instances is dramatically reduced.