Re: [Ayatana] Instant-messaging as an indicator menu

On Fri, May 14, 2010 at 10:07, Remco <remco47@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
In the Contact List of Empathy, if you start typing the name of the
one you are looking for, a search box will appear. You'll end up
selecting the entry. There are a number of problems with this:

Any reason this couldn't work with an indicator-style menu? The volume control already has an interface where the menu must be opened and then interacted with, although I'm unclear on how focus would work here.

In the Messaging Menu, I would not place a list of all contacts. That
could get messy with 2000 contacts. It's better to just put a search
box there. If you start typing in the search box, matching contacts
will start appearing in the menu. Maybe the concept of "favorite
contacts" could be introduced, so you can have a couple of contacts
that appear in the menu before searching.

My understanding is that empathy devs are already working on a 'favorites' list for the contact list, that would show up as a virtual group.

--
Jeremy Nickurak -= Email/XMPP: jeremy@xxxxxxxxxxx =-