Re: [Ayatana] Instant-messaging as an indicator menu

On Fri, May 14, 2010 at 18:11, Jeremy Nickurak <jeremy@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Fri, May 14, 2010 at 10:07, Remco <remco47@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>
>> In the Contact List of Empathy, if you start typing the name of the
>> one you are looking for, a search box will appear. You'll end up
>> selecting the entry. There are a number of problems with this:
>
> Any reason this couldn't work with an indicator-style menu? The volume
> control already has an interface where the menu must be opened and then
> interacted with, although I'm unclear on how focus would work here.

Yes, that's the search box I mentioned. Focus would work as you'd
expect: open the menu, click the text box and start typing. Whether
the focus is automatically on the search field is a detail. I don't
really care either way.

>> In the Messaging Menu, I would not place a list of all contacts. That
>> could get messy with 2000 contacts. It's better to just put a search
>> box there. If you start typing in the search box, matching contacts
>> will start appearing in the menu. Maybe the concept of "favorite
>> contacts" could be introduced, so you can have a couple of contacts
>> that appear in the menu before searching.
>
> My understanding is that empathy devs are already working on a 'favorites'
> list for the contact list, that would show up as a virtual group.

Cool!

----

On the topic of contacts, I find it kind of confusing that there are
two separate lists of contacts. There is the contact list maintained
in Evolution, and one maintained by Empathy. It would be nice if every
contact in Empathy would also get saved to the contact list of
Evolution. Then, when searching through this unified list, you could
decide to call, text or email someone, depending on the capabilities
of the contact.

--
Remco