Re: [Ayatana] Instant-messaging as an indicator menu

The Social Desktop, nicely wrapped in a consistent and comfortable UI, will bring the Meercat into many a household! ;)

Humans share their knowledge and skills in the Ubuntu community, why don't apps also behave like that? Something i can't stop reasoning about..
Yeah, we need to untangle Ubuntu's social desktop apps, give them an intuitive and accessible structuring, make the social apps talk to each other.
Some more userland IPC for a change would help enormously, and we have most of the code for this out there already.

Me Menu, Messaging Menu and Contact List, all accessible by 1 click from Ubuntu's Gnome Panel, are not working together as one, and they are not behaving consistently with the other giant baby newcomer Gwibber, nor is anyone really saving up my facebook/google talk contacts in the cloud (Ubuntu One).
why not?
a) Me Menu duplicates availability setting from Contact List: confusion.
b) Me Menu configures services that live in the Messaging Menu: confusion.
c) "Click-Hold-Aim-Release" is no improvement to "Click" (show contacts/Messaging Menu): a step backwards
d) Contact List doesn't deserve its name, it's only an availability status notifier with IM nicks at the moment.
e) gwibber's behaviour is inferior to all popular Website AJAX interactivity (clicking "like" or adding comments reloads the whole stream-page and breaks the user's interaction focus by jumping to the top of the stream...)

We should *at least* match the interactivity comfort of facebook.com and mail.google.com..
Perhaps some dedicated usage of WebKit with a minimal local LAMP and some accessible scripts and some CSS featuring RGBA in a WebKit based UI would make a more powerful interface than the Erlang experiments currently happening in Gwibber.. who knows anything about that?
* is it smart to implement AJAX-based social website UI behaviour using Erlang?
* does your facebook.com stream jump to the top when you commit a comment?
* does your jabber webclient on mail.google.com reload the whole page for every IM?
* does your bike release the clutch when you flip the light switch?
* does your mobile phone reboot its UI for each button pressed?

As long as Gwibber sucks, i will use the respective webpages instead.
I'm not alone in this observation, prove me wrong.
Same goes for Evolution, which is a landmark jack-of-all-trades suite of Unusability [1].
We might as well go back into using POTS and paper mail, if Evolution is meant to be the state of the art.
Being free of charge is no USP or catcher nowadays, when OSX costs about $50 and Windows 7 is delivered as factory default on most machines nowadays.
If we removed Gimp from Lucid, i suggest remove Gwibber from Lucid+1 also.
It was nice to see it in action, but i can't take the Ubuntu social desktop seriously as long as Gwibber's obstructive scrollbars are bigger than the information in between them. Not yet.