Re: [Ayatana] Windicators

On 16 May 2010 16:21, Akshat Jain <ssj6akshat1234@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Sun, May 16, 2010 at 6:16 PM, Sense Hofstede <qense@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>
>> On 16 May 2010 14:31, Mark Shuttleworth <mark@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> > On 16/05/10 08:17, Akshat Jain wrote:

>> > But wouldn't it be better that that the windicators show up in the
>> > window
>> > list?
>> > So I won't have to open a minimized window to just see the
>> > windicators.like
>> > I have an Image in my mind with with Compiz Live Preview like popups
>> > with
>> > Windicators instead of Window Previews.
>> >
>> > Interesting... yes, one could put a rendition of the Windicators on the
>> > windows in the Alt-TAB preview. Cool idea.
>> >
>> > David, could you make a note of that, please, in your window management
>> > file?
>> >
>> > Mark
>> >
>> Making it (slightly) easier to access the windicators would provide
>> the application developers with a more suitable place to provide quick
>> access to application functionality. This would mean less developers
>> want to put their application in the notification area; so the right
>> top of the screen should be a bit less cluttered.
>>

> I hate the Minimize to Tray concept.One who invented this should be forced
> to watch BSoDs for 10 days continiously while tied to a chair and eyes
> forced to open.It is so much irritating and cluttered.
>>
>> It is a good thing to make less applications use Application
>> Indicators; they should be used to notify the users or give them
>> access to things that don't have their own open window, like Network
>> Manager. There are currently a lot of applications that have an
>> Application Indicator, but don't really use it properly. Those
>> applications could be using windocators instead when they would be
>> easily accessible.
>>

> Agreed
>

>> Leaves the question where to minimise applications to if you can't put
>> them in the tray anymore (which is a good thing, I've always found it
>> a very unintuitive place to hide applications). I think we could do
>> with providing nothing extra: the most important reason for providing
>> something as horrendous as 'minimise to tray' is because applications
>> take a lot of place in the currently used window list panel applet.
>>
>> However, the Unity dock doesn't have this problem as the icons are
>> smaller, and most of them are already there. For most applications
>> keeping them running unhidden would only mean an extra triangle at the
>> dock next to an icon.
>>

> I think there can be an Application-Stasher applet(kind of like a drawer but
> horizontal) where Applications can be minimized *if I wan't them to* because
> I don't see the utility of Minimize to Tray for other than application
> minimizing since notifications are handled by Notify-OSD and (soon)
> Windicators.Not needed on Unity but needed on Desktop.

An application bucket where you can dump applications you don't want
to take space sounds like a neat idea. The applications could stay in
there, even when they're running and have got the focus -- this could
be indicated by placing the focus triangle at the bucket icon (the
bucket icon is distinct from application by a different background
colour or a border around its icon (what icon?)).

When the application wants attention the bucket could either expand
and show the list of applications inside with the demanding
application showing the regular attention animation, or the drawer
icon could perform the want-attention animation itself.

Regards,
--
Sense Hofstede
[ˈsɛn.sə ˈɦɔf.steː.də]