Re: [Ayatana] Combo Indicator Applets

On Tue, 2010-05-18 at 09:54 -0600, Jeremy Nickurak wrote:
If the messaging menu, and other indicator features are to be supported by upstream, I believe we need to reduce the barrier of adoption. If gnome-shell, kde, xfce, and every other random window-manager/desktop-environment (which almost universally support the notification spec) could have all the same indicators and features that the ubuntu offers, without having to adopt/implement a new applet/protocol, we'll have a much better chance of getting the community at large on board.

The only desktop you listed that doesn't have support for the messaging menu directly is GNOME Shell.  I don't see a reason to implement a notification area fallback just for that.
        --Ted