Re: [Ayatana] Evolution

Hi Jeremy

On Tue, May 18, 2010 at 19:36, Jeremy Nickurak <jeremy@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
It's certainly how gmail's web-browser desktop interface works. I mostly use that on the desktop now, although something more native would be welcome.

The big problem with Evolution in particular is that it fetches headers for all the messages in an entire folder, so that it can get a correct message count (which still isn't correct, afaik), and so that their "virtual" trash and spam folders work as designed. That's fundamentally why Thunderbird does so much faster than evolution, it just asks the server for a message count, and trusts it. When you *open* a folder, it asks for all the (new) headers in it.

I'd consider trying thunderbird again, but I'm too hooked on gmail's labeling system, and that just doesn't map intuitively to IMAP folders right.

At the moment, Google can't be topped in it's semantic handling of what we still respectfully regard as email..

The IMAP protocol has seen its days, many people are already used to sending/broadcasting their messages to each other via proprietary social networking sites in the www, because neither Apple/Microsoft, nor Symbian have been able to provide for an adequate DE-native  application for the social communication needs of human beings in the 21st century.

That's why we need to offer a FLOSS alternative to this one proprietary solution.

So, for what it's worth, let's collect some of what other people call "intellectual property" on what Google Mail, the best proprietary eMail service out there, currently has to offer concerning usability issues.

my 2 points:
* No easily accessible button for "mark as unread"
* Labels aka tags aka IMAP folders don't die after a certain while of being void of new messages