Re: [Ayatana] Papercut or not? Bug #495403 in One Hundred Paper Cuts: “Do not raise windows or dialogs without user input”

Hi MPT ;)

On Fri, May 28, 2010 at 12:31, Matthew Paul Thomas <mpt@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
So when should the window manager switch from assuming you want a
new window focused, to assuming you don't? After five seconds? Ten?
Twenty? And how can the window manager, by itself, tell which was the
action that resulted in the window eventually opening?

Let me interject a few questions..
Focus, Mouse Focus (e.g. for scrolling), Keyboard Focus, raising to the foreground.. aren't these all different things?
What exactly do you mean with "assuming you want a new window focused"? do you mean i want it raised above all other windows, or rather do i want it focused?

I for one need "focus" and "raise" untangled in this thread, this is a big one for me.

I don't know the exact details of the algorithm Metacity and Compiz use
to make this guess, and most of the people in this discussion seem not
to know that there even is one. So I think the next step is for someone
to dig into the code and find out exactly what the algorithm is in
Metacity, in Compiz, and in kwin (and ideally research what it is in
Windows and Mac OS X, too). Only then can we report informed bugs where
the algorithm isn't working properly, and only then can we make sensible
suggestions for how it could be improved.

yes, such an algorithm exists indeed, i found this [1].
I suppose that is the behaviour you are referring to.
For Compiz, there are some GConf entries that had me a little confused..
just CTRL+F Compiz in gconf-editor to see what i mean.

[1] http://blogs.gnome.org/metacity/2007/12/24/stacking/