Re: [Ayatana] Lock Screen / Guest Session / Switch From / Log Out / Suspend / Hibernate / Shut Down

On Fri, Jun 18, 2010 at 1:28 PM, David Hamm <davidthamm@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
sorry for spam, forgot the lock icon above. (lock) (sus) (res) (shut)

Arno Gourdol, Mac OS X developer: “I actually think that the result could have been even better than what we ended up with. I argued against including Restart, Shut Down and Sleep in the Apple menu.”

wouldn't it be funny to just have lock switch, and log out
pow / restart /sus in the login screen.

Two steps to shutdown would kind of be a pain in the ass, restart wouldn't be so bad in just gdm except when a restart is needed like after a kernel update. The only problem I can see with this is the expectation of there being a restart button, but if it appeared when a restart is needed I don't think that many people would notice.

I definitely like the idea of removing suspend/hibernate. These are things that can be done implicitly on action. Most people I know only suspend when they close their laptop lid anyway. I don't think I've ever clicked the suspend button except maybe accidentally. My mom and brother also just close the lid and expect the computer to sleep.

Any easy fix to remedy part of the situation would be to remove the Guest session button and move that into the 'Switch from' window.

--
-- Alex Launi