Re: [Ayatana] Secure Identity Design

s/someone/somewhat

On Mon, Jun 21, 2010 at 4:25 PM, Scott E. Armitage <launchpad@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Agreed. Users that build GPG networks without proper trust controls could actually /decrease/ their level of security. Having said that, the current implementation is someone complicated and poorly documented. I have but one trusted "friend" on my current network, and that took the better part of an hour for both of us getting it to work right.

I really like the ideas shown here, I just want to echo Scott K's and Dylan's concerns about over-zealous use of the system.

-Scott

On Mon, Jun 21, 2010 at 4:14 PM, Scott Kitterman <ubuntu@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

"David Hamm" <davidthamm@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>"Making friends with others" This "Starfish" sounds like a much bigger and
>more important feature then at first thought. Is this going to
>be integrated into ubuntu one?
>
>One of the best things since buttered toast is being able to sync user
>information across platforms, and the ease of contacting/accessing other
>peoples information securely.

This needs to be handled very carefully. GPG web of trust is about trusting identity to be accurate. It's got nothing to do with social media concepts like Facebook friends.
Scott K

Scott Armitage, B.A.Sc., M.A.Sc. candidate
Space Flight Laboratory
University of Toronto Institute for Aerospace Studies
4925 Dufferin Street, Toronto, Ontario, Canada, M3H 5T6