Re: [Ayatana] Secure Identity Design

On Mon, 2010-06-21 at 16:14 -0400, Scott Kitterman wrote:
> This needs to be handled very carefully. GPG web of trust is about trusting identity to be accurate. It's got nothing to do with social media concepts like Facebook friends.
> Scott K

It's both, the most important part is the secure web of trust which
verifies the identity of the person via their links with others. This
should be held sacred. As an aside there is nothing wrong with having
social trust as a by-product, it just can't be confused with or held to
the same standards as the core purpose of identity trust.

It's a feature which can be easily jettisoned in first versions,
although it's something that would be very useful later on.

On Mon, 2010-06-21 at 21:29 +0200, Thorsten Wilms wrote:

> Shouldn't the network-building happen face-to-face, to really know who
> you are dealing with?

Yes and it depends, the face-to-face is important but not absolute. It's
useful for verifying a person's identity with governmental ID, but the
real decider is the out of band communication confirmation, which means
you should be able to add someone like your mum using a phone call. If
we require face-to-face then we risk making the process ridiculous, but
we may still be able to promote it.

>  * Verified Contacts

We'll go with that unless anyone has any objections, it does sound
clinical but I think it's the best we have.

Martin,