Re: [Ayatana] Places > People

Hello Frederik,

2010/8/21, Frederik Nnaji <frederik.nnaji@xxxxxxxxx>:
> The "dash" as you spell it, is what exactly again?
> Does "dash" mean another "Place" in Nautilus, where my contacts will be
> listed and searchable?

If I understand well, the dash is a concept introduced in Unity, not
necessarly bound to Nautilus.

> Opening a full fledged window might be valid for operations like contact
> editing or management, grouping, synchronizing and sorting...
> For fast access, i would prefer a Contact menu that behaves just like an
> indicator menu:
> * appears (i.e. drops down)
> * shows a list of activity-essential items (Me, my Contacts, a link to the
> "dash")

I'm not at all a business user, neither I have an incredible amount of
friends yet my contact list easily carries more that two hundred
entries.  Surely I do _not_ want all those listed in a menu, but
rather I want to have at hand a mechanism to filter them in order to
find the one(s) I'm looking for.

> The use case would be something like:
>
> Deborah wants to call her assistant Mike via VoIP.
> Mike is pinned to her list of usual Contacts that always shows in the
> Contact menu.
> Deborah opens the category indicator for [social messaging] and moves the
> mouse onto the voice call graphic next to Mike's name in the menu.
> A call is mediated between the two of them, as she clicks, and the menu
> vanishes, giving way to a voice call window.

Again, contacts being in a "dash" (unity page) makes them fairly easy
to reach and filter.  Managing contact can still be done using a
proper application like Evolution, tho.

Regards

Jean Levasseur.