Re: [Ayatana] Places > People

Hello everybody,

On Tue, Aug 24, 2010 at 12:50 PM, Jean Levasseur <levasseur.jean@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hello Frederik,

2010/8/21, Frederik Nnaji <frederik.nnaji@xxxxxxxxx>:
> The "dash" as you spell it, is what exactly again?
> Does "dash" mean another "Place" in Nautilus, where my contacts will be
> listed and searchable?

If I understand well, the dash is a concept introduced in Unity, not
necessarly bound to Nautilus.

Some screenshots of unity dash (files and applications):
http://www.webupd8.org/2010/07/unity-ubuntu-software-center-and-sound.html

I'm not at all a business user, neither I have an incredible amount of
friends yet my contact list easily carries more that two hundred
entries.  Surely I do _not_ want all those listed in a menu, but
rather I want to have at hand a mechanism to filter them in order to
find the one(s) I'm looking for.

I think the dash has some very nice features to allow easy filtering of files and applications than can be used also with contacts:
* groups of contacts next to the search box (family, work, friends...)
* most recent contacts and/or most accessed contacts... on the "main" part of the dash (below the search box)

Hopefully in the coming months we can reach something like that, thanks to the work being done on libfolks (allowing fo have metacontacts on empathy and the desktop) and zeitgeist.