Re: [Ayatana] Restart Required

Hello MPT ;)

On Tue, Aug 3, 2010 at 21:02, Matthew Paul Thomas <mpt@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> [...]

In the update handling specification, I've specified that it should.
<https://wiki.ubuntu.com/SoftwareUpdateHandling#alert> (For the
implementation, see
<https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+spec/foundations-lucid-distiguishing-updates-that-require-restart>.
I don't know how far that ever went.)

The blueprint you linked here was superseded by another one.. here:
https://blueprints.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+spec/upgrading-running-software/
The original blueprint holds implementation ideas (tagging) and questions (will tagging apps require changes to Soyuz?), while the one superseding it suggests a brainstorming session.. did such a session happen? Was it documented by anyone?

Another more "Restart Required" specific spec lies here, created by Joel Ebel:
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UpgradingRunningPrograms

does Joel's spec somehow interfere with the changes you propose in your spec?
I think it is good to have multiple specs for the same cause, as long as we're brainstorming methods or as long as we're in draft stage.

For implementation, having rivalling specs within one project (Ubuntu) is either highly intentional or deadly to progress.

>>> With the exception of Firefox updates, the old version works fine
>>> until restart.  What you don't get is the benefit of the update.
>>> Firefox will stop working if not restarted (and warns about this).
>> so then red is the wrong color
>
> Depends on what fix isn't in place. Leaving a remote root exploit in
> place seems pretty red to me.

But you're no less secure, at that moment, than you were when Ubuntu
knew the update was available but you hadn't installed it yet. Should
the icon be red then too? And if not, why should it be red now?

what is your personal shot at this? I think apt doesn't warn about this, keeps its interaction dialog lean and purposeful. Our discussion here leads me to the conclusion that we want updates to be a seamless service: interruptions of human workflow are bad app behaviour and deserve to be flagged, so USER can avoid them timely.