Re: [Ayatana] Unity interface - my Beta review and proposals

On Sat, Sep 11, 2010 at 14:35, Michael Jonker <citizen.jonker@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Basically - Unity already has all the goodness built in. It just needs
to be evolved into something that is so obvious that Bill Gates or my
granny, after turning it on for the first time, can understand the whole
workflow instantly and find everything they may need quickly.

I think Bill is interested in profit more than accessibility or usability, according to his own statements, therefore doesn't belong into this example use case.

On top of that it needs to run on the most simple of devices, for
example the $35 tablet, reliably - so no fancy hiding and animation
effects for the core functionality.

Yeah, this devices is a perfect example for the subtle revolution we are currently in the midst of:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ok4z9Xpapzc

Accessibility starts with affordability. Even when talking about screen real estate for example:
an appliance can sometimes not afford to lose screen real estate to a toolbar, navigation bar, window list or dock. Affordability is therefore the key argument in the design of an accessible Interaction Device.
Affordance is the key to optimizing the affordability of an appliance, no matter what type, style or brand.

Thanks for bringing another great example of why Ubuntu / Ayatana makes sense ;)