Re: [Ayatana] Do Not Disturb vs Indicator Session

Hi Ralph,

On Tue, Sep 14, 2010 at 01:08, Ralph Green <sirable@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On 9/13/10, frederik.nnaji@xxxxxxxxx <frederik.nnaji@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Should we add an item high in the Session Menu called "Do Not Disturb" with
> a checkbox before it??
> i think offering an undisturbed session mode is a valid suggestion for a
> comfortable experience..

I hope you mean everything.

yeah, everything users suggest frequently. It est all common use cases. We don't want to create a bloated configuration page.. just the most frequent use cases for the beginning.
Update Manager's automatic apt queries and popup windows could be inhibited for this temporary state of undisturbedness.

It should stop Update Notifier from
popping up, too.  I might be able to live with update notifier
running, if I could tell it and IMs and the like to be quiet at times.

I'd suggest make everything silent by default, and add configurability for the more difficult cases such as Empathy's IM and voice call Availablity or Custom Presence.

 When recording a screencast or doing a presentation, an IM popup or
update notifier are very distracting.

i feel your idea, this is something i encountered in all creative activities on all my machines, whether sound-related, DTP or during photo/video production.

A special Do Not Disturb icon would be nice,

are you suggesting the development of a visual metaphor?

Good day,
Ralph

in an environment in which not even being online can stop the system from spamming me with popup alerts about www-related actions that are now possible, we need an undisturbed mode that can be activated for occasions of focus or peace of mind.