Re: [Ayatana] unity and notifications

On Thu, Sep 23, 2010 at 00:34, ubuntu@xxxxxxxxxxxxx <scott@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

"David Hamm" <davidthamm@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>"To be more accurate, the idea is that allowing user control is often a
>way to sweep problems under the rug instead of actually solving them."
>
>Hear Hear
>
>*slams водка mug on table*

Yes, but extremism about this is equally dangerous. It results in a design that is well suited for a single,  possibly narrow, use case and useless for anything else.

+1

everything should be either intelligently adaptive or individually adjustable.. yet more important than that is the comfort of control. If a control option in Targetuserland is not comfortable to use or to understand, it doesn't deserve to be visible -> gconf.

The easiest types of comfortable control are themes. We already have them for audio, for chrome and for single apps, now i suggest introducing NotifyOSD support into the themes Radiance and Ambiance..
That way, we could manipulate as much as the theming interface affords.