Re: [Ayatana] preferred applications

On Monday 04,October,2010 05:57 PM, Matthew Paul Thomas wrote:
> [...]
> I would love to see results of this user test: Before the test, install
> Ubuntu from scratch, then install Chromium alongside Firefox, then put a
> shortcut to some Web site on the desktop. Then in the test, get the
> participant to double-click on the shortcut to open it in Firefox, then
> close Firefox. Now show them Chromium, and say, "If you wanted that
> shortcut to open in Chromium whenever you double-clicked on it, what
> would you do?"

I don't believe this issue is as simple as you try to make it out to be. Let's
extend the user test a little:

Delete the shortcut, start a chat and post a URL in the chat, get the
participant to click on it to have it open to Chromium, and close it again. Now
show them Firefox, and say, "If you wanted that link to open in Firefox whenever
you clicked on it, what would you do?"

--
Kind regards,
Chow Loong Jin