Re: [Ayatana] preferred applications

> >> I would love to see results of this user test: Before the test,
> >> install Ubuntu from scratch, then install Chromium alongside Firefox,
> >> then put a shortcut to some Web site on the desktop. Then in the test,
> >> get the participant to double-click on the shortcut to open it in
> >> Firefox, then close Firefox. Now show them Chromium, and say, "If you
> >> wanted that shortcut to open in Chromium whenever you double-clicked
> >> on it, what would you do?"
> >
> > haah, yes, good point indeed!
> > Are you suggesting "Preferred Applications" be removed from the
> > defaults?
>
> No, I'm suggesting I don't know whether it's useful, and I would like to
> know.

Indeed.

Preferred Applications will definitely be looked at as a part of the
current Control Center redesign [1]. It would be great to have research
and design contributions here - there's plenty of work to do.

If anybody does want to do some work on this, now is a great time to
make a contribution. There's a GNOME Control Center mailing list [2] and
IRC channel [3], and there's also the GNOME design IRC channel [4]. The
main people to be talking to are Thomas Wood (thos), Bastien Nocera
(hadess), Richard Hughes (hughsie), Jon McCann (mccann) Hylke Bons
(hbons) and Jacob Steiner (jimmac).

Best,

Allan

[1] http://live.gnome.org/Design/SystemSettings