Re: [Ayatana] What do app authors do for Account Dialogs?

On Mon, Oct 11, 2010 at 12:38, Allan Day <allanpday@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Mon, 2010-10-11 at 11:13 +0200, frederik.nnaji@xxxxxxxxx wrote:
> Hi Allan,
>
> On Sat, Oct 9, 2010 at 19:44, Allan Day <allanpday@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>

>         I totally agree about the desirability of this feature. Which
>         is why I'm
>         glad that it's being worked on for GNOME 3.0. :) Initial
>         mockups can be
>         found in the GNOME design repository [1].
>
>  [...]
>

>         [1]
>         http://gitorious.org/gnome-design/gnome-design/blobs/master/mockups/control%20center/web-services/web-services.png
>
> finally we'll have ON|OFF for an account!
> Thanks for bringing this to the forefront ;)

Erm, well it's just a mockup (and it's not my mockup). I have no idea
how they are going to implement this, actually, since GTK doesn't have
this kind of widget.

ideas that are so obviously useful and easy to implement will find their way into our desktop, i'm sure.
The HIG3.0 will offer a great opportunity, providing design patterns for all use cases the community that designs this new HIG can come up with in formal language..

A high level design pattern would be for example to make the degree of affordance a function of its utility in the context at hand.. but that's OT here, i guess..