[Ayatana] Does the new ubiquity offer confusing options during “side-by-side” installs?

While ubiquity is not a listed project with Ayatana I really hope to open up some meaningful discussion regarding what I see as a major shortfall in the new ubiquity UI prior to Natty UDS.

However, I’d first like to say that I’m largely impressed with the overall appearance of the new ubiquity and just how quickly the devs pulled this all together during the Maverick dev cycle.

My goal is to offer constructive criticism from an end users perspective without ever being disagreeable. I’m very much reminded of what Ivanka Majik said during the dispute regarding the ability to change the computer name during installation:

“The Ubuntu Live CD is the first experience many new users will have of Ubuntu. The installation experience should be attractive and effortless to reassure new users that Ubuntu is the right choice. The process should feel safe and should only highlight risk when necessary (e.g. when data will be destroyed).”

I simply question whether or not we’re living up to that goal if a new user selects “Install alongside other operating systems”. The screen following that choice displays a number of options including “Use entire partition” and “Use entire disc”. I believe the other options are quite clear, but at this point I want everyone to put their “noob shoes” on ;^)

What partition and/or disc is the installer referring to? Also consider that most Windows users are used to designations like Drive A, Drive C, etc. Who are we targeting with the “alongside” option? The most inexperienced dual/multi booters I’d suspect.

The user has just chosen between three options:

1: Install alongside other operating systems

2: Erase and use entire disc

3: Specify partitions manually (advanced)

Having already chosen “Install alongside other operating systems” why are they now being asked if they want to “Use entire partition” or “Use entire disc”? Didn’t they already make that decision?

They already decided not to “Erase and use entire disc” but they’re being asked again. Is that confusing? I think it is.

If they choose “Use entire partition” what partition are they agreeing to use? Remember who we’re targeting with the “side-by-side” option :^) As previously mentioned many Windows users, and sadly some long time Ubuntu users, have no idea what Linux device designations are or what they mean.

Possibly exacerbating the problem, even for more experienced users, is this bug:

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/ubiquity/+bug/657397

I simply identified that too late in the Maverick dev cycle to expect a fix and I’ll certainly follow up on that during Natty iso-testing.

I had however filed a bug report regarding this “auto-resize confusion”:

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/ubiquity/+bug/655950

While I got seriously “off-track” there you’ll see that Evan Dandrea said:

“Regarding your original concern of the presence of "use entire disk" and "use entire partition" buttons, I fail to see how they do any harm. Their presence is part convenience, and part desire to consolidate the automatic partitioning options to a single page. The fact that the first partitioning page offers you separate "use entire disk" and "resize partition" options is arguably a bug, but I am otherwise satisfied with the UI.”

I obviously disagree but I’d like to point out that I have great respect for Evan. During the time I’ve been iso-testing I’ve seen him fix a lot of last minute bugs. I know he poured a lot of effort into the new ubiquity and I’d hope that everyone agrees that we can disagree without being disagreeable :^)

I sincerely hope we can begin an open minded debate regarding this issue either here at Ayatana or in some more appropriate venue. Many thanks in advance.

BTW, I am Erick Brunzell and/or lbsolst at Launchpad and kansasnoob at Ubuntu Forums.