Re: [Ayatana] Global Menu behaviour

On 27 October 2010 22:27, Conscious User <conscioususer@xxxxxxx> wrote:

Before any kind of conclusions, a survey with long-time
OSX users should be made. After all, not only they use
a Global Menu all the time, but a lot of them also
have huge monitors.

Heh, yeah because that would be unbiased :p We're pretty good at getting used to a system, even if it's inefficient, and we'll defend that system because we are familiar with it. It doesn't mean it's a good idea!

I think the main problem with having a global menu bar on a high resolution is that with a high res you'll likely have multiple floating windows (rather than one fullscreen one as in UNE), in that situation you will need to continually click the correct window to get focus so you can access its menu, also obviously there is the travel distance of the mouse, and the potentially huge distance between associated elements. I can't imagine someone using Eyefinity would be too impressed with a global menu.

Luke.