Re: [Ayatana] On Vincent Moulin's idea of partial global menu in unity

On Oct 28, 2010, at 12:49 PM, Daniel Silva wrote:

>Wait, I only now realized what your're talking about, and I disagree :)
>
>I disagree because what if you want to alt-tab between the two emacs windows?
>That shortcut is unknown to me, and probably to every user coming from
>windows or mac.  Daniel

On OS X, you don't Alt-Tab between windows of the same application, you Alt-`
(backtick) between them.  Of course the Shift modifier switches directions on
both.  To me this works well because cycling between applications is a
fundamentally different task than cycling between windows of the same
application, so it should be on different key bindings.

I think you can fiddle the configuration of compiz (but not metacity afaict)
to get close, but it does not work for every application.  E.g. IIRC it does
not work for Emacs.  I'm not on a compiz capable desktop at the moment, so I
can't verify that.  But in any case, it's not consistent.

Cheers,
-Barry