Re: [Ayatana] Handling workspaces in Unity's launcher

Hi Seb, thanks for taking part again.

I love my idea :p but i see one big problem :
- this solution use many vertical space in the screen. If we show the "favorites applications", the "direct access : nautilus + apps + trash" and 4 workspaces with, for each workspaces, 3 applications, we are completly out of the screen. In this case we loose a lot of usability.

Not necessarily, check this comparison: http://imgur.com/n7OXR.png

To the left side you have my mockup, for two active workspaces and three open windows. To the right side, you have the current dock with the same number of open windows.

As you see, the extra space is not that much. It takes a bit more space with each extra workspace, but not with each extra window.

Moreover: it gives you a way to save space: do you know how right now some launchers will shrink if they don't fit in the screen? Well, with my proposal launchers in other workspaces could shrink, while those in the active workspace would keep their normal size. That would save space while making it much easier to keep track of what you're doing, that is, the windows in your current workspace.